At Bungalow Potter, I love creating everyday wares for folks, especially the really custom pieces that become a features part of their family, in their everyday home. Explore some of these special pieces, as unique and beautiful as the people they were made for.
A Mug for Mitch
Mitch T. ordered this custom mug. "No, Stæven, you don't understand, I want it BIG," he said. "Big enough that I don't have to refill it, nice so that it fits in my hands good, and something that says I take coffee seriously." Mitch works in marketing, and needs his creative fuel. A lot of it.
Well, with a little research, and found some shapes he liked, and we were on the way. This mug features some details I really enjoy.
- A thumbprint button, for a cozy feel
- a large, manly handle. 'Nuff said.
- Some curves, like in the sample pictures Mitch liked.
- A round, smooth, sanded bottom–no scratched up desk on my watch.
- Peek-a-boo details of brown, from where the glaze is thinner, gives it more personality and character.
A Beloved Cat Urn
When I was asked by Bill and Heather to create a special place for their beloved one to rest in their home, I was beyond honored. This piece must be special. After a long, wonderful life, their little one was going to cross the rainbow bridge, and needed a place to sleep on their mantle.
Inspired by their love for dubstep, fantasy, and video gaming, I saw the handmade glass handle and had to have it. I created a pot and a cover, to make an egg-shape. Natural, hand-carved details brought the piece to life, and later would showcase a beautiful metallic, hematite-colored glaze.
Together, the final piece is beyond stunning. There's not one piece of pottery out there like it, and that's the point. Because their beloved kitty was incredibly unique and beautiful too, making this commission a beautiful project in every way possible.
- Hand-carved, natural details
- A notched lid, to ensure proper fit
- Two-tone glaze job for function and beauty
- One-of-a-kind, handcrafted glass and metal knob
- Beautiful, luxe metallic glaze.
William & Heather G.
Perfect Pasta Bowl Set
I love pasta. Especially rustic, hearty dishes. Alfredos, pestos, and anything with sun-dried anything. Well, so do Dan and Wade.
They love pasta so much, they asked for a set specifically so they could enjoy their homemade meals in some of handcrafted pottery. I send them some ideas and pictures, and I was off.
The perfect bowl is 13" across, about 2" wide, and allows for everything from salads, pastas, even side dishes that can go directly from oven-to-table. The side bowls were made to stack, and are incredibly light.
This ensemble works incredibly well together or as separates.
- 13" x 2.5" Low Bowl, and 8.25" diameter Side Bowls
- Large circular center accent, adding style and dimension on serving bowl
- Gorgeous glaze application on white stoneware
- Four stacking Side Bowls
- Smooth insides of bowls, for smoother surface on flatware
Dan & Wade
Wedding Centerpiece Pitchers
Every bride wants their wedding to be beautiful, memorable, and unique–to truly represent their special day. For this commission, I was privileged to be commissioned to make the 'something blue' category for the wedding. Ok, not really, but they were for the wedding reception AND blue.
This shape was made for the bride-to-be's centerpieces, with the intention of holding baby's breath, the table number placards, and beauty in the eye of the beholder. Each pieces was unique, while staying to the same concept–a tall, elegant pitcher with hand thrown details.
- Handles–each handle uniquely had different ends at the bottom, some flat, diamond, or rounded.
- A sprayed glaze application, allowing for incredible results and unique layerings
- Throw lines at the bottom of the waist and at the lip
- Handle thumbprints for snug and cozy grip
- Golden speckles in the Signature Craftsman Blue glaze from reactions to clay particles
David & Rebecca R.